Basics of Bead Embroidery
Note that this is a 2 part class for the Wire Wrapping Jewelry Making SIG (special interest group). Please plan on attending both sessions. Part 2 builds upon what you do in Part 1 and therefore Part 1 is a prerequisite for anyone wishing to attend Part 2.
Photo 1 above is an example of a stone without the additional rows of beads. Everyone should be able to finish this on night 1.
Photo 2 above shows the optional beads: The 3mm white beads and the next row of 8/0 beads are optional. We will show you how to put them on at the end of the 1st class if you choose to use them.
When: Part 1 -Thursday, September 22 @ 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
PLEASE BE ON TIME. It is always difficult for the instructor if you come in late and try to catch up. Be a little early if you want to pick out beads.
When: Part 2 – Thursday, September 29 @ 6:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Where: SeaBreeze Recreation Center, Destin Room
Instructors: Susan McCauley and Diann Eilering
What will be covered:
PART 1: The purpose of the class is to expand on the class that Diann did in March and Susan did in 2021 where you bezeled a cabochon. The focus of this class will be to attach a gemstone to backing material, bezel it and then embellish and back it to make it a beautiful piece of jewelry. NO, the cabochon you already bezeled will not work! AND YES, this is easier than either of those classes.
PART 2: The second part will consist of backing the piece and attaching a bail. Criteria for Part 2: You must have taken Part 1 to do Part 2.
You can just go anywhere with the bead embroidery technique.
- Sharp Scissors (preferably with a point)
- Beading Needle…this is not the same as a sewing needle
- Beading Thread – Fireline 6#, Wildfire 6# or Nanofil 8# (# = pound)
- Ruler or straight edge
- Pencil or pen to mark foundation material
- Beading Mat (this is a must as beads will be all over the floor if you don’t have one)
- Battery Operated Task Light (Optional but very helpful)
- A round or oval cabochon approx. ¾ – 1 inch in diameter –
- no larger if you want to complete the classwork in class.
- This can be made, purchased locally or ordered online at Amazon or any reputable supplier.
- Cabochon should have a FLAT BACK
- Cabochon’s will be available for purchase in class for $4 – $6 (they will be available at the Sept 1 Thursday workshop, so if you want to have first selection, be sure to come then!)
- 11/0 or 10/0 delica beads in 2 colors that highlight the cabochon
- These will be provided at no cost by the instructors but they may not be the color you prefer. Delica’s will be provided in a limited number of colors.
- It is your choice on whether to buy or take a chance
- 11/0 round (rocaille) seed beads in a color that compliments the cabochon. . If you are at the September 1 class, you can purchase your cabochon so you will know the color. Others should just bring a neutral color if they are purchasing the cab at the actual class. A good neutral color is pearl or black.
- 15/0 round (rocaille) seed beads
- Gold and Silver will be provided. If you want another color, you need to bring it.
- OPTIONAL: 8/0 round seed beads or 3mm round beads. See sample for ideas.
SUPPLIES PROVIDED BY THE INSTRUCTORS AT NO COST TO YOU
- Stiffener (Lining)
- Delica Beads will be provided in a limited number of colors.
- 15/0 Round Seed Beads in gold and silver
We don’t want you to have to go out and purchase a large quantity of these items when you will only be using a small amount of each item in the class.
Once again, please be on time or a little early for this class. Definitely be early if you want to pick out beads available from the instructor!